Monday, August 21, 2006

Internal Medicine Board Exams

I just took my Internal Medicine board exams, and now am sitting in the lobby of the silly testing center in Matteson, Illinois, waiting for my friend Raj to finish so we can sit in inbound rush hour traffic on 57 and the Dan Ryan (did I mention that it's under construction?) before downing a few well-deserved beers at Jake Melnick's.

The test I thought was fair. After a year of cardiology, I realized a lot of my Internal Medicine knowledge has atrophied. I'm pretty sure I knew enough to pass. The scores come put in November.

Out of all the standardized exams I've ever taken in my life (PSAT, SAT, MCAT, USMLE I, II, III, and now this) this is definitely the one I've studied the least compulsively for. I'm pretty sure it's a combination of 1. There's no reason to do anything more than pass 2. Mild test-taking burnout 3. Hubris 4. No one who did internal medicine at Northwestern has failed in the past few years.

Also, I figure, what possible bearing does memorization of the workup of glomerulonephritis have on my future career as an academic Cardiologist? Without any exaggeration, knowing how many licks it takes to get to the Tootsie center of a Tootsie pop is more germaine (in that it may allow for the more accurate estimation of the carbohydrate intake of my patients.)

So now with this test out of the way (hopefully), I can move on to other things, like Cardiology boards (2 years away), echo boards (if I decide to take them, also two years away), and the Internal medicine recertification exam (if all goes well, 3650 days away)!

1 Comments:

Blogger mamun mizi said...

Thank you very much. This really helped me with my work. I appreciate your help. Thanks a lot. good website

Nail Seminar

8:20 PM  

Post a Comment

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home